Sunday, May 27, 2007

Getting my goat.

Goats make great cheese. Or rather people do, from goats' milk. Now, kid meat isn't a usual site in most British butchers, so I jumped at a chance at my local farmer's market to try some from a local cheese maker. Now, maybe I was phased by the enormous price he'd put on it - some 6 quid or so for something near half a kilo of stewing meat, but I wasn't terribly impressed. There's much to recommend it - the meat was beautifully tender, and it's good to eat the by products of dairy production (e.g. veal), but it simply lacked in flavour.

So, I'm on a mission. To find out whether kid meat can be better. For a meat so lauded by the likes of Mr Blumenthal, there must be better. Maybe it wasn't hung for long enough? In the meantime, I won't be putting kid meat on the restaurant menu...the goat's cheese however is amazing and certainly will feature.

The search continues...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I managed to pick a leg steak up at a goats cheese stall at Borough Market a month or so ago. Not bad. More flavour than new season lamb, I think, but not as strong as mutton. A decent compromise and (for London) an OK price. I'd buy it again if I saw it.

Anonymous said...

Why not just use it as a textural backdrop and pack it full of flavour using rosemary and anchovies?

Anonymous said...

That's an expensive "textural element"! I believe that flavours should complement and amplify, rather than "make up for lack of". If it was better value then I would consider it. We tried it in a curry the other day, and it lost all meaning. I'm still hopeful.